ARCOS Aims To:
- Help people with communication and/or swallowing difficulties acquire greater independence.
- Enable clients to maintain and improve their eating (swallowing) and communication skills.
- Combine training in therapeutic posture, movement and use of appropriate equipment in order to minimise disability, handicap and expense in the case of those with physical disabilities caused by neurological conditions.
- Increase the knowledge, understanding and skill range of carers (including relatives).
- Increase the knowledge, understanding and skills of professionals working with these clients.
- Raise public awareness of needs of people with communication and/or swallowing difficulties.
- Support effective treatment methods, equipment and technologies to aid people with communication and/or swallowing difficulties.
The Aims Above Will be Achieved by Providing:
- Independent assessment, information and advice.
- Direct therapy for people of all ages with communication problems.
- Direct multi-disciplinary therapy based on the Bobath approach and concordant philosophies to children and adults with sensory motor problems caused by neurological conditions.
- Training courses for carers, including relatives.
- An equipment library for therapy, eating and communication, with improvements.
- Demonstration and trial of new and modified equipment.
- Liaison with other agencies in accessing therapy and equipment e.g. communication aids.
- Investigation into new technology, techniques and equipment, including trial and evaluation.
- Increased awareness and understanding of the needs of people with communication and/or eating difficulties.
- Better provision of services via campaigning.